Indian chicken curry and rice casserole
Rice is cooked on top of this simple chicken stew to create a crispy coating for an inventive take on Indian dinner!
Curry with chicken
- One tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 kilogram of cut into 4-5cm pieces chicken thigh fillets
- One chopped onion and two thinly sliced onions
- Crushed one clove of garlic and ¼ cup (75g) of mild korma curry paste
- Jar of Rosella Fruit Chutney, 250 grams
- One-cup (250 ml) chicken broth
- Half a cup (seconds) simple Greek yogurt
- Two 250g packets Warm basmati rice in the microwave
- 75 grams of butter
- 45g, or ½ cup almonds with sliver
- 250g of half-ripe punnet cherry tomatoes
- One chopped Lebanese cucumber and one thinly sliced tiny red onion
- Two tablespoons of lemon juice
- ½ cup of coriander leaves + additional for decorating
- To serve, add extra Greek yogurt and fruit chutney.
Method: Curry with chicken
- In a sizable, heavy-based ovenproof pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Batch-brown the chicken and then transfer it to a platter. Put aside
- Add minced garlic and onion to the pan. Sauté the onion for 3–4 minutes over medium heat, stirring frequently, or until it becomes soft. Add curry paste and stir.
- Put the chicken back in the pan. Add stock and chutney and stir. Heat till boiling. Cover and simmer gently for around 15 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce has slightly thickened. Take off the heat source. Add yogurt and stir.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (fan-forced) or 180°C.
- Heat the rice according to the package instructions, then pour it into a basin and break up the grains.
- In a small pan, heat the butter until it foams. Add the chopped onions and sauté them until they become tender and brown. Once the onions and almonds are both roasted and golden, add the almonds and simmer. Mix the rice thoroughly after adding ¾ of the onion combination. Transfer rice mixture onto curry. Distribute the leftover onion and almonds evenly over top. Bake the rice for 10 to 15 minutes, or until crispy.
- In the meantime, mix together the tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, lemon juice, and coriander to prepare the salad.
- Present rice casserole and curry garnished with additional yoghurt and fruit chutney. Accompany with a salad.